PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Kanguru Bio AES Drive

From: dkovar at gmail.com (David Kovar)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:51:12 -0400

Ironkey's support for non-Windows platforms is sorely lacking.

TrueCrypt is what I tend to use for securing a variety of portable media.

-David

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM, iamnowonmai <iamnowonmai at gmail.com> wrote:
Ironkey

Michael Miller <mike.mikemiller at gmail.com> wrote:

I'm a bit skeptical about flash drives and hard drives that claim to
have device encryption or hardware encryption. ?Most of these devices
only work on Windows machines. ?I have a issue with the assurance that
the drivers / management software (for the device) is written well.
The cost is also higher for these devices. ?Which one would expect but
are you really getting what you pay for? ?I've not done a price
comparison lately, that might not be a issue now. ?My personal view is
you can get high assurance levels encrypting content on a normal flash
drive / hard drive using openssl or gpg. ?I know openssl and gpg is
not the most user friendly software for some individuals.

I'm going to reference this article about about one vendor.
www.h-online.com/security/features/Enclosed-but-not-encrypted-746199.html
The way I see it using XOR and not AES is blatant false advertising.

-Miller