PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Database Encryption

From: mmcgrew1 at mail.csuchico.edu (Michael McGrew)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:54:30 -0700

Yes, that's possible. At my work we use Oracles TDE on specific columns,
(for example, user login in the users table) and we are able to compare it
in the application to what the user types in when they login. I'm not sure
about specifics in setting it up (i'm not the DBA) but we use the Oracle
wallet manager for the keys and to set up encryption for a column you just
need to ALTER TABLE talbe_here MODIFY (column_here ENCRYPT USING 'AES256');
when creating the table, it's very easy.

About the application encrypt/decrypt; your application does not need to
worry about it. It's transparent to the application, the application does
not know the difference between a column that has TDE and one that does not.
Retrieve it from the database and use it as you would any other record.