PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Encrypted Disks

From: pauldotcom at grymoire.com (Grymoire)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:05:18 -0400

I, too, am skeptical of any encrypted drive with a software driver.

There is an alternative.  I have used Apricorn Aegis Padlock.  The key
is entered on a keypad on the disk itself. No software needed.  Workds
for Windows, Max, Linux. AES encryption. 10 different passwords, and
an account manager - built into the disk itself.

If you forget the master password, you can reset it, and say goodbye
to the data as well. Practical.

http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=58

$189 for 640GB w/AES-256, Save $20 if you will settle for AES-128.

If you want a secure portable SSD, that's $779 for 256GB.

The only problem I had was when I powered it with a single USB cable.,
They provide a Y-cable to get juice from two USB ports. Works.

I think the new IronKey has a Linux driver. But that's not a disk,
just flash.  They do have their heads screwed on right. That would be
my second choice.