PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Tunneling / Vpn

From: cclymer at gmail.com (Chris Clymer)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:17:07 -0400

OpenVPN is a great choice for this, as its an SSL VPN. Set it up to
listen on port 443 if you can and you will have a high likelyhood of
making it out of any public network on the road.  Its not uncommon for
hotels to blick a lot, but SSL over 443 is pretty much a requirement ;)

If you really want to get sneaky, tunnel over port 53(DNS) as well.
Some places wont allow it, but same hotel/coffee shop networks will
allow users to make external DNS queries before theyve registered at
the captive portal page.

As a result its possible that one could avoid providing payment
information to a hotel, not that im advocating this...

Sent from my iPhone