PaulDotCom mailing list archives

File checker tool?

From: k41zen at live.co.uk (k41zen)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:08:45 +0000

Mick,

Do you want to stop them installing apps or from executing apps already on a workstation like cmd.exe? If its the
latter then what you're looking for is Microsoft Software Restriction Policies (SRP's)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457006.aspx.

You can specify MD5 or SHA1. See clip:

"A hash rule is a cryptographic fingerprint that uniquely identifies a file regardless of where it is accessed or what
it is named. An administrator may not want users to run a particular version of a program. This may be the case if the
program has security or privacy bugs, or compromises system stability. With a hash rule, software can be renamed or
moved into another location on a disk, but it will still match the hash rule because the rule is based on a
cryptographic calculation involving file contents.
A hash rule consists of three pieces of data, separated by colons:

MD5 or SHA-1 hash value

File length

Hash algorithm ID"

Just so that this is balanced, HP sell a product called Appsense.

Personally after seeing both I'd go with option 1.

Regards,

k41zen