PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Nessus vs McAfee Vulnerability Management

From: rgula at tenablesecurity.com (Ron Gula)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:52:53 -0500

On 3/10/2010 2:57 PM, subzer0girl wrote:
I need a little help convincing the purchasing people that I need
Nessus.  They are suggesting McAfee Vulnerability Management is a viable
alternative.  I want to stick with Nessus since that is what I have
experience with.  I've googled for a comparison of the two products but
haven't found anything of value. Does anyone have experience with how
the two products compare ?

Any help would be appreciated

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Comparing Nessus to FoundScan as a scanner, please consider:

- When you look at total number of CVEs covered, Nessus has more. We
publish our counts here:
http://www.nessus.org/plugins/index.php?view=all Don't use total unique
checks as a measure as it is very deceptive.

- Tenable has added very cool features for enterprise auditing such as
netstat side port scanning, the ability to support remote registry
enable/disable during the scan and su/sudo support for Unix. I do not
think these are in FoundScan, but would love to hear from users.

- Tenable has put a lot of effort into the quality and thoroughness of
Nessus's web app tests. I have not seen these types of checks or
settings available in FoundScan.

For an enterprise though, a more accurate comparison would indeed be
using Security Center vs. FoundScan.

- There is no cost for additional Nessus scanners, whereas with
FoundStone, you need to buy each scanner.

- Security Center includes certification checks for CIS, FDCC, PCI, DISA
STIG and lots more. FoundScan has some of that, but McAfee actually has
a separate product focused on config testing.

- Most of Tenable's success in the enterprise space has been with
Security Center 3. We are about to ship Security Center 4 which has some
very cool features I've not seen in any vuln scan solution such as being
able to graph patches installation events against measured vulns, or
displaying per-asset trends of vulnerability ages. If you are
interested, you can read about it here: http://www.nessus.org/u?8d097d41

Lastly, I'll make one pitch for our Passive Vulnerability Scanner. At
RSA, I asked a lot of folks who stopped by our booth how often they scan
their network and often got answers of weekly or monthly uncredentialed
scans. With the PVS, vulnerability discovery is realtime AND you get
client side vulnerabilities.

If you have further questions, please contact me offlist.

--
Ron Gula, CEO
Tenable Network Security