PaulDotCom mailing list archives

SSL VPN attacks?

From: jackadaniel at gmail.com (Jack Daniel)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:07:26 -0500

There's a different problem with the Cisco (and some other)
"clientless" (there's a BS marketing term) VPNs.  There's a lame Cert
vuln report at:
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/261869 with lots of misinformation
(most VPN products are not vulnerable to this).
Two posts over at Securosis clarify and explain this issue:
http://securosis.com/blog/your-clientless-ssl-vpn-sucks/
and
http://securosis.com/blog/clientless-ssl-vpn-redux/

Basically, the "web browser as VPN client" systems where the "VPN
server" rewrites the remote services and serves them to the
browser/client via a web server break domain security models if used
improperly.

I *assume* (with all attendant dangers) that these same pure
web-browser based systems are as vulnerable to sslstrip as
conventional websites, but I do not know for sure.

What is driving the change from IPSec?

Jack

--
Jack Daniel, Reluctant CISSP