PaulDotCom mailing list archives

rainbow tables at Shmoocon

From: dimitrios at gmail.com (Dimitrios Kapsalis)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:33:12 -0600

Boohoo I won't be making it to schmoocon :( hopefully i can still get
them)...

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Robin Wood <dninja at gmail.com> wrote:

2010/1/6 Jim Halfpenny <jim.halfpenny at gmail.com>:
I'm not sure I would trust the rainbow tables in such a collection. It
would
be easy to drop poisoned tables where a pecentage of the values were
bogus.
Nice idea in principle but if you have the CPU time to verify the tables
so
they are trustworthy you could just generate them yourself.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind some more exotic rainbow tables - Oracle
password
hashes anyone?

Jim

I'm hoping that the community spirit will keep the tables clean and
useful. Like someone said earlier, most of the people on this list who
are likely to contribute are known names and can probably be vouched
for by the rest of the list.

Lets just hope someone doesn't work out a 0-day for one of the
cracking apps that involves a specially crafted table!

Robin