PaulDotCom mailing list archives

what files do you go for when you compromise a machine?

From: carlos_perez at darkoperator.com (Carlos Perez)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:42:11 -0400

on client side %appdata% is the place to search for application files there look for specific files from Mozilla
products the sqlite db's are gold, registry keys for putty, conf files for filezilla, pgp/gpg keys among some. Do be
careful downloading office files and pdf's depending on the scope and clients things can go weird fast specially if it
is a hospital and all of the sudden you have client data on your machine, same thing for downloading employee personal
data and the policies in the client are lax and other information that might not be good to have in your machine so
ROE's are the limiting factor when it comes to document folders. PST's can be a PITA depending their size so it would
be good to list them and then decide if to download them or not. In meterpreter to know if a file exists there are only
2 ways of doing it:

- File stat and if it returns error then the file is not there (I do not recommend)
- list folder content and look if the file exists (better approach, do a list and save in an array that can be searched)

I recommend you take a look at my Pidgin script part of the framework and my browser enum script in my site for when
you have system privs how to enumerate the accounst and path to appdata depending on the OS since it changes depending
of the version of windows. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Carlos