PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Malware / hack lab?

From: baconzombie at gmail.com (Bacon Zombie)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:15:20 +0100

Just on a site note I'm planning on setting up the same both at home and in
my local Hackerspace {TOG}.

In TOG I will be using an old Dell Server and an external drive for storage,
but for home I want to build a new but cheap system.
It will be a VM / NAS box which I will rehouse my 4x 1TB Samsung drives and
500w PSU.

So what Motherboard /CPU / RAM config would other recommend ?

CPU ; Intel vs AMD = i3/i5/i7 ?
RAM ; More is better but is DDR3 worth the extra $$$?
SATA : Hardware Raid vs Software Raid ; LVM vs ext3 vs FAT32 vs NTFS

Scripts to Auto-Reimage either at a set time or on reboot {but not always,
i.e. exploit crashes box and adds new user on reboot}.

/Ramble

Baconzombie