PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Latest trend - Linux Boot CDs for Online Banking

From: pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com (PJ McGarvey)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:17:47 -0400

I didn't read the whole article, but I wonder if this would be best suited for large transactions, say over $1000?
The bank could use some other means to verify the user is using its live cd, before allowing the transaction.  Or what
if they integrated some sort of bootable distro on a usb fob that has a certificate built-in for use with two-factor
authentication?  Even combine that with some out-of-band type of authentication, like a PIN sent to your cell phone.

Of course, if the banking session were still compromised, and the Bank states there is no recourse if you use the live
CD, then you're SOL...

Bruce Schneier has written some stuff about "authenticating the transaction"

-PJ