PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Digital Forensic Software

From: arch3angel at gmail.com (Robert Miller)
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:12:01 -0500

Awesome Email Karl, I completely forgot about about the NCJRS PDF !!!

Thanks for the additional information as well - Great Information!

- Robert
arch3angel

On 12/9/2009 5:16 PM, Karl Schuttler wrote:
FTK Imager is a pretty good (and free) imaging software. Digital chain
of custody is very similar to your regular chain of custody; there
isn't any standard form for it. Attached is one I whipped up for my
digital forensics class in openoffice calc, based off of
http://www.precisecyberforensics.com/CoC.html. I've also attached it
in excel format, but I don't know if the formatting gets messed up.

The Forensic Examination of Digital Evidence: A Guide for Law
Enforcement (http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/199408.pdf) is a good
start for general procedures in the seizure of digital evidence. It
also has some nice worksheets in the middle of it used by the DEA.

Finally, I assume that the prosecutor would be aware of this, but some
states have laws in regards to who can perform a forensic evaluation.
In MI, for example, there is some draconian criteria you have to
follow to be legit, such as the requirement to have a PI license; if
you perform digital forensics there and do not follow their
guidelines, you are committing a felony. It would be worthwhile to
make sure any work you're doing for the state isn't illegal.
http://www.forensicmag.com/articles.asp?pid=273 lists the laws for
Arizona, California, and South Carolina.

Hope this helped,
Karl