PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Digital Forensic Software

From: joel.folkerts at gmail.com (Joel Folkerts)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 14:53:33 -0600

 Helix 3 Pro (http://www.e-fense.com/helix3pro.php) may be a good fit for
you - includes a variety of data processing tools, imaging capabilities, and
canned documentation. The only downside is the $240 price for one year
subscription.

 If your on a leaner budget, take a look at FTK Imager (not sure if that's
what you were referring to) --
http://www.accessdata.com/downloads.html#Utilities. Which ever approach you
take - make sure that the hard drive is sufficiently "write-blocked". The
easiest and most reliable way of achieving this is through a hardware
write-blocker -- I am partial to Tableau (
http://www.tableau.com/index.php?pageid=products&category=forensic_bridges)
but there are lots of options. Helix does allow you to boot into a
Knopix-like environment that does not mount your drives. You can then grab a
physical image of the drive with their embedded tools. Good luck!

-Joel

"The path to hell is paved with good intentions."