PaulDotCom mailing list archives

smartcard readers in Sun boxes

From: bcg at struxural.com (Ben Greenfield)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:27:15 -0400

I guess this depends a lot on the vintage of the Sun box.

Maybe I'm wrong, and Sun has only ever used a single design for Smart
Card reader, but in my experience I've never seen an internal USB
smart card reader, only external USB ones, and internal PCI or PCMCIA
(I don't think I've ever seen an ISA one).

I've also found most things Sun to by highly proprietary.  I can
remember one scary situation where a legacy system that I had
inherited was down because of a extreme regional event, and realizing
that we didn't have a mouse, keyboard, or monitor that fit the
proprietary Sun system.  Luckily we were able to attach the system to
a console server device, which took a serial connection that provided
SSH access to the console server interface that let you connect to a
bunch of different serial connections.