PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Reverse VPN or SSH to Windows

From: jim.halfpenny at gmail.com (Jim Halfpenny)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:59:01 +0000

2009/11/16 Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek at irongeek.com>

Hi All,
    I'm playing around with making reverse connections out of a NATed of
network. I can do it with ncat no problems. I've tried to get reverse SSH to
work from a Linux box (using OpenSSH) behind NAT to a Windows box (using
putty), but so far no luck. I think it has something to do with no
gatewayports being present.  Anyone ever set thi up before?

OpenSSH has the ability to act as a SOCKS proxy. You could combine this with
a reverse tunnel to provide SOCKS access to the remote network.

nat$ ssh -D1080 localhost
That sets up the local and then....
nat$ ssh -R 1080:127.0.0.1:1080 remote.host

I think that ought to work.

Jim