PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Ethics and legality redux - cable modem manufacturer arrested

From: kingmanor at gmail.com (Matthew Manor)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 05:33:11 -0500

On 11/3/09, Jody & Jennifer McCluggage <j2mccluggage at adelphia.net> wrote:
I came upon this article in my reading this morning:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140239/Cable_modem_hacker_busted_by_
feds?source=rss_security

I thought this article went well with the thread several weeks ago around
ethics and legality.  According to the article this individual was arrested
by DOJ for selling "customizable cable modems and software that could be
used to get free Internet service or a speed boost for paying subscribers"
even though he claimed they were for "for educational use only."

I am sure there are pertinent facts on both sides that are missing in this
article and this individual is innocent until proven guilty but I think it
reinforces the point that if something has the appearance of being a bit
shady, it is best just to stay well clear of it.  I think this article
serves as a good reminder for tech folks.  In computer/electronic law, the
closer you get to that edge the murkier things get.   It is probably best
just to stay away from the edge.

Well that is my opinion for what it is worth.

Jody

--
Sent from my mobile device