PaulDotCom mailing list archives

A question about browser history

From: karl.schuttler at gmail.com (Karl Schuttler)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:03:19 -0500

Watch yourself. Sounds like a civil suit waiting to happen.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Dorne Mabais
<dorne.mabais at googlemail.com> wrote:
I have a situation at a client's that I would appreciate some help with. An
employee was flagged as visiting "adult" sites (which is surprising since
their proxy is not exactly current or well setup), and a quick look at the
browser history showed traces of this (firefox 3.5). But in my brief
exposure to forensics I have been told, "do not look for evidence of guilt
or innocence, just look for evidence". This employee seems honestly shocked
about this and swears that he did not do it (even has suggested taking a
lie-detector test to prove it!) and some of the sites do seem like those
that are ad funded and I know those can be more then meets the eye. So I
have been trying to find out if it is possible that he is actually innocent.
I have done some reading and hidden iframes would explain the proxy traffic
but as far as I know, those do not show in the browser history (?). I am
sure that a pop-up window would not have been it either. I admit my
web-security-fu is not at a very high level, so I would like to ask if
anyone knows of a way this could have happened which backs up the employee's
story or do I just go ahead and assume guilt?

Thanks
?Dorne