PaulDotCom mailing list archives

CVE-2009-3555 and PCI Compliance

From: jackadaniel at gmail.com (Jack Daniel)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:27:06 -0500

AAAAAAAUUUUGGGGHHH!

<RANT>
If anyone "fails" you on an assessment without providing guidance on
resolution/remediation/mitigation, your payment to them should "fail"
to appear.  Who was this, those (in my personal *opinion*) monkey
sodomizing rat bastards at Security Metrics?  Or just another Qualys
scan pusher without a clue or care?

I believe the appropriate questions are things like "what is exposed
by this", "what are the likelihood and impacts of compromise", "can we
mitigate a fundamental flaw in the protocol with additional
processes", etc?

I'm still explaining to idiots like this why TCP 587 is listening on
mail servers.
</RANT>

As far as mitigation, maybe a patched proxy in front of the SSL/TLS
device(s) could handle it?  Or maybe nothing significant is actually
exposed by this?

<SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION>
This kind of crap is what led me to get involved in an ongoing PCI DSS
conversation with a bunch of people- podcasts, articles, and talks to
come.  I'll be on a panel at Shmoocon with some folks who actually
know what they're talking about, we'll be discussing the realities of
PCI and its impact on our industry.
</SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION>

Who, me, too much caffeine? Nah.

Jack

--
Jack Daniel, Reluctant CISSP

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Monkey Daemon