PaulDotCom mailing list archives

File encryption solutions

From: marv at madmarvonline.com (Mad Marv)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:57:01 -1000

Speaking of Enigmail, is it (v0.96) borked for anyone other than me?
For some reason it cannot find the path to GnuPG on my Vista laptop.  I
input the path manually and it still doesn't execute gpg.exe.  I have to
roll back to 0.95.7.

Getting back to the original topic, I would use 7-zip w/ AES-256
encryption if you have to send the file to a fairly unsophisticated
group of users.  Getting them to install 7-zip is probably easy, but
transmitting the key securely would be the hardest part.  Picking a
strong key may be discouraged if you plan to call the recipient on the
phone and read a long string random characters.  Even more so if you
distribute the file among a large group of users.

GPG is better if you are sending the file(s) to users who know what they
are doing.  GPG4WIN should also have a plug-in for Outlook integration.
 I've never tried it though.

Marv

David A. Gershman wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet: GnuPG (http://gnupg.org/)
It's effectively free PGP.

It has a windows port (Gpg4Win) and integrates nicely into Mozilla
Thunderbird via the Enigmail plugin (both Win and Linux).

Anyone know if it works as well on MAC?

All,

in the past i used PGP to encrypt file and send them off via email.
Looks like PGP is playing more in the commercial space these days.
What's everyone using for the purpose of encrypting files to be sent
offsite?

Thanks

David A. Gershman
gershman at dagertech.net
http://dagertech.net/gershman/
"It's all about the path!" --d. gershman