PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Unattended linux updates

From: lyematt at gmail.com (Matt Lye)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:42:41 +1000

I have done a similar thing under Ubuntu with no problems.

Under Linux its better not to use cron itself, but to use cron.daily,
cron.weekly, or cron.monthly as found in /etc.

If a machine is off when a cron is ment to run, it will not run, if its
added to one of the later crons it will run the next time its started.

For Ubuntu just add apt-get update && upgrade to one of the cron.<something>

-Matthew Lye

You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision,
determination, and and endless supply of expendable labor.
<No tree's were harmed during this transmission. However, a great number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced>