PaulDotCom mailing list archives

What's in your Virtual Machine lab?

From: kpo.mail.list at gmail.com (Kyle Osborn)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:22:22 +0000

Looking to put something together myself, but I'm not sure what I should
grab. Wondering what everyone else uses (for vulnerability testing).

Does everyone have machines such as, XP unpatched/SP1/2/3, Vista, 7?
Linux distributions?  Should I stick in some older kernel, 2.4.x, older
versions of the current 2.6.x kernel?

What about software? Older version of IE and FireFox?
Older versions of services? Apache, MySQL, fileshare services?

What else should I be looking at?

I realize I may not be taking full advantage of virtualizing and what it has
to offer, and seeing as how having a ton of computers (be it dual boot or
not) is not an option, what do you guys do?

Kyle Osborn