PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Anti-forensic tools

From: strandjs at gmail.com (John Strand)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 20:13:25 +1000

Ed?

I think I hear him coming...

Wait for it........

On Jul 3, 2009, at 7:15 AM, Joshua Wright wrote:

I just wanted to point out that my post about copying lemonparty.jpg
is
the only one that works natively on Windows, the target platform based
on the use of "of=\\.\f:".  ;P

Points for the person who figures out how to do this with a Windows
FOR
loop.

- -Josh

Grymoire wrote:
dd if=lemonparty.jpg of=\\.\f: bs=512

first of all, there is no need to use if= and of= - that's provided
as
a backwards compatability to JCL (HELLO! we're talking punched cards)
Use < and < instead.

i.e.

dd <lemonparty.jpg >\\.\f: bs=512

And yes, when the end of file is reached, dd will halt.
It does not loop the data.
Perhaps you can

             1) seek blocks before writing

             2) Use a bigger file

For number 1, I think you can do something like (untested)

count=0
while [ $count -lt 500 ]
do
dd <lemonparty.jpg >\\.\f: seeek=$count bs=512
count=`expr $count + 1`
done

For #2, you can use any of these sources of data:
             yes | dd bs=512 count=500 >\\.\f:
             no | dd bs=512 count=500 >\\.\f:
             dd bs=512 count=500 </dev/zero  >\\.\f:
             dd bs=512 count=500 </dev/urandom  >\\.\f:

Usually people use the last one.

And they repeat it if they want to make sure the data has been
overwritten.

I suppose you could do
while true
do