PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Anti-forensic tools

From: marv at madmarvonline.com (Mad Marv)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:31:02 -1000

re: #2.  I've been using Eraser (http://www.heidi.ie/node/6) for wiping
external hard drives via USB.  It will also selectively overwrite files
/ folders / free disk space.  I used to schedule Eraser to wipe unused
disk space but that is just a hassle.  Truecrypt full disk encryption is
much more convenient.

Marv

Adrian Crenshaw wrote:
Hi all,
     I'm planing another class for the local ISSA (and hope to get some
Infragard and OWASP folks there). The topic this time is Anti-forensics.
I plan to cover a few categories of tools:

0. Show simple tools to see what's been going on
Places files are stored
effect of hibernate and page file
defrag issues (I assume this can leave remnants behind in slack space of
files that defrag moved, so if ta defrag happened just before you wipe a
file you may not really get all of the data)
Filecarving with Photorec http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

1. Selective track covering tools
CCleaner  http://www.ccleaner.com/
CleanAfterMe http://nirsoft.net/utils/clean_after_me.html

2. Delete f***ing everything!!!/Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to
be sure
Secure Erase http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml (Scott
Moulton told me this uses built in ATA commands to wipe even bad sectors)
DBAN http://www.dban.org/

3. Encryption
 Truecrypt

4. System configs/don't leave traks in the first place
Wipe swap file on shutdown
Browsers and incognito mode
Portable apps/VMs from encrypted volumes (does anyone know how much of
the Host OS's swap is used by VMWare and the like?)

Any more ideas? Any better "Selective track covering tools" then the
ones I mentioned in section 1?

Thanks,
Adrian