PaulDotCom mailing list archives

When virus scans are there certain directories they skip?

From: k41zen at live.co.uk (k41zen at live.co.uk)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 22:08:12 +0100

I've seen AV vendors getting into trouble with checking the Quarantine
folder too - especially the Symantec (SEP) product which got itself
into an infinite
loop.

I also have seen that not only are app directories ignored that
directories with large amount
of data are ignored too for example database data directories. The
admins hadn't excluded the
database file types but the whole directories on the assumption that
only data would
exist in that directory :-) These directories are generally less
protected than the app
directories too.