PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Credit Card Acceptance Over the Phone

From: vlape at me.com (Vincent Lape)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:12:59 -0700

one thing to note is that most processors will charge a higher rate
for transactions done over the phone. Your client needs to do the
following:

1. Establish a training and awareness policy regarding the appropriate
handling of CC#
2. Establish and enforce a "clean desk" policy. this means no paper,
pens, PDA's cell phones, purses (you get the point) at the workstation
that will process the payment. if the telephone center is shared you
should segregate it from other business functions.
3. Remove unnecessary internet access services such as IM, email,
webmail.

If the client is processing CC data they need to (depending with the
amount of transactions) conform to PCI regulations. As long as they
have the policies and procedures in place to educate the employees and
restrict temptation thats all they can really do. The company can not
really defend much against the one employee who really wants to get
that information.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information. I have a
good bit of experience with payment processing in a call center
environment so feel free to give me a shout if you need more info.

Vinny.