PaulDotCom mailing list archives

backing up /etc using svn

From: kevin.shortt at gmail.com (Kevin Shortt)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:46:50 -0400

RE: SVN overall..
I like the concept of it.  SVN is a pretty powerful tool, and when deployed
as you propose IMHO seems to provide a great layer of protection for any DR
situation. I personally would not change the username/ownership for the
transfer.  This can cause issues when restoring it that become a nuisance.

RE: remote root issue
How remote is your root access over ssh?   The root access over ssh can be
configured in such a way that battens it down to only allowing connections
from your server/host with original data and always requiring a key to
login.  If the backup host is dedicated to the one server, a separate nic
and lan can be setup to keep the traffic private as well. This limits
exposure quite a bit.

Just some thoughts...

-Kevin