PaulDotCom mailing list archives

backing up /etc using svn

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:48:38 +0100

2009/8/10 Josh Olson <josholson at gmail.com>:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Robin Wood<dninja at gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone else have this kind of setup and if so, does it work or
can you point out any alternatives or better ways to do things?

Robin,

I'm not saying your idea is bad, but I've always liked Jamie
Zawinski's idea of rsyncing to a locally attached external disk. One
for your nightly backups, and the other (stored remotely) for monthly
emergency recovery.

http://www.jwz.org/doc/backups.html

I do rsync backups already, I was thinking of this as either an extra
or replacement. The beauty of this is that it is a constant
incremental backup so I can rollback to any time not just either last
night or last month.

Robin