PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Analyzing Malware Binary

From: infolookup at gmail.com (infolookup at gmail.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:14:56 +0000

Hello All

I recently came across several infected machine on one of a network I support. This got me thinking instead of always
cleaning the machine and moving on I would like to start understanding the various downloaded binary that aided in the
infection.

Can someone recommend a good source or briefly explain how you would start such an analysis.

So far I tried PEid but it was unable to identify the packer used, next I used strings and piped the output to a text
file, I can post the out if anyone is interested.

Thank You.