PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Odd formatting results

From: joel.folkerts at gmail.com (Joel Folkerts)
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 21:19:27 -0500

What is the file system? NTFS, FAT16, FAT32? What size is the partition?

-Joel

"The path to hell is paved with good intentions."

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek at irongeek.com>wrote:

Ok, a few years ago I tested out formatting an SD card from XP, and showed
how you could file carve the data back off of it because it did not zero the
bytes.

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/data-carving-with-photorec-to-retrieve-deleted-files-from-formatted-drives-for-forensics-and-disaster-recovery

I'm testing right now in Vista, and doing a normal format seems to zero out
the bytes (besides the part that involves the file system format). Did the
change the way things work in Vista? The format seems to go too fast to be
overwriting everything. I'm using WinHex by the way to verify.

Thanks,
Adrian