PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Vulnerability assessments and their cost

From: NSweaney at tulsacash.com (Nathan Sweaney)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:56:16 -0500

I've had the same questions as Jason & have had a hard time getting good information.  Everyone in the pen-testing
world is more than willing to share technical tips & hints, but it really seems like the whole pricing model is sort of
a black art & nobody wants to share their knowledge.  That's understandable, but it really makes it difficult for new
guys trying to get into the industry.

I know there are a lot of variables that make generalizations difficult so let me through out the possible scenarios &
see who is willing to contribute.

Say we've got three different clients.

1. Small business with 50 or so users on desktops &/or laptops and 5 servers. Windows domain network with various
services open to the outside (website, email, vpn, ftp, etc).  Minimal network infrastructure.

2. Small-Medium sized business with 10 locations.  200 users with a small IT staff.  Mostly windows, but some *nix here
& there.  20 servers.  Segmented VLANs. Site-to-site VPN tunnels.  Several services open to the outside.  Managed AV.

3. Medium-sized business with 2 location and 750 employees.  Decent IT staff with 1 dedicated security guy.  Wide range
of technologies in use.  More complex nextwork.

Assume all three businesses want an internal & external network pen-test to include password cracking, limited brute
forcing, wireless attacks, email based social engineering, client-side attacks, etc.  In order to save time, the client
will provide basic information about the architecture of the network and the business.

So based on those scenarios, what kinds of ranges are common in terms of both time and money?

- nathan