PaulDotCom mailing list archives

security concerns with cable splitters

From: cmerkel at gmail.com (Chris Merkel)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 15:04:51 -0500

Based on my understanding of how cable modems work on Time Warner and
Charter in the midwest, all they do validate if a device can talk on
their network is via cable modem. It's conceivable that a person could
clone a MAC address on a cable modem to gain internet access via the
unprotected coax, but that wouldn't get them anything other than a
public IP.

- Chris Merkel