PaulDotCom mailing list archives

your log management tools of choice?

From: rgula at tenablesecurity.com (Ron Gula)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 06:04:47 -0400

For what its worth, Tenable shipped a Splunk agent this week so you can
feed logs into
our system and do anomaly detection, user tracking and other types of
correlation.

I also really like the Mandiant Highlighter. We run our tools at a lot
of gov't agencies
and universities. I've been able to do things like see that there was an
anomaly on a certain
host and then do a query for that host's DNS records through our logging
solution, and
then drop this file into Highlighter. You can add more and more complex
negative filters
to strip away logs you don't care about. In this case I was looking for
odd DNS requests
and was able to globally remove *gmail.com, *facebook.com, .etc.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security