PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Want to get into malware analysis

From: wishinet at googlemail.com (wishi)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:34:15 +0100

matt donovan schrieb:
2009/1/23 xgermx <xgermx at gmail.com>

Read through the SANS ISC blogs. They offer a lot of good starting points.

2009/1/23 matt donovan <kitchetech at gmail.com>

Since this field interests me so much. I decided to learn more about it.

I am already planning to buy Applied Cryptography, 2nd Edition to learn
about some Cryptography. Is there any other books that people might
recommend.

I m looking into buying Malware: Fighting Malicious Code as well.

Should I buy a C programming book to go along as well. I already know
Java(Learned it in college).

Well I already have two assembly books. So I can just pull those out if I
have to guess I can grab some code from offensive computing to look at the
assembly. The Crypto book is mainly to learn more about bitwise math so that
I can look at the behavorial side a bit more if I run across some malware.

Moin!

Did somebody jet mention Chris Eagle's IDA Pro book?
If not, well... ;) Furthermore Kris Kasperski has some books:
http://www.openrce.org/forums/posts/368, openly available.

- OpenRCE is Windows focused
- it offerers a great variety of tutorials for starters and a community

- if you're serious do some kind of training, just for the papers
- and never forget: who loves coding loves reversing. ;)
It's not the other way around.

- Buying Malware? There're lots of archives. No one who's got a Spam
folder...
Tryout Honeytrap or Nepenthes. These are honeypots.

- some books about Secure Coding seem to be near to the topic, too:
maybe Robert Seacord's "Secure Coding in C and C++" or C's secure coding
standards.
Maybe "Writing Secure Code" by Michael Howard and David LeBlanc. Or "The
Art Of Assembly
Language" by Randall Hyde.

Have fun,
wishi