PaulDotCom mailing list archives

"Free Public WiFi" at 32, 000 feet over the Pacific.

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:55:53 +0000

2008/12/2 David Kovar <dkovar at gmail.com>:
Greetings,

So there I am, at 32K feet in the business class section of a United
flight. I pull out my MBP, fire it up, and find that I can connect to
a "Free Public Wifi" access point.

Not likely.

I could probably track the owner down, but I'd look really obvious
doing so. Can anyone think of a way of connecting to the access point
and communicating with the owner? A pop up dialog box would be nice,
but injecting something in their log file would suffice.

First off, make sure your firewall is up and hope you are fully patched.

Connect, get an IP then nmap/nessus scan, see what OS, what is open
then take it from there.

-David