PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Ideas For Tech Segments?

From: rsreese at gmail.com (Stephen Reese)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:43:10 -0400

2008/10/21 Chris Merkel <cmerkel at gmail.com>:
I think the most awesome thing would be a spoof of a "Dirty Jobs" episode
where you and Larry go dumpster diving. (Bonus points for: 1. Doing it while
under the influence. 2. Dressed like hobos)

Other Ideas:

- Log management strategies on the cheap.
- (Somewhat related) OSSIM
- An overview of available tools (or an in-depth look at one) for static
code analysis.
- A review of Adeona - the new open-source tracking software for laptops.

- Chris Merkel

I second the log management strategies... It's simple enough to dump
routers and other devices to a syslog server but about your Microsoft
platforms, are you sending them over to the same syslog servers or do
you have a better free/cheap alternative.

Most importantly, are you actually parsing/analyzing the logs or just
letting just sit there in hopes something will jump out and grab your
attention after the fact... What are you using to parse them that's
free?