PaulDotCom mailing list archives

My hacking iPhone fell into the toilet!

From: john.skinner at gmail.com (John Skinner)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:46:05 -0500

Sorry, this got long. I just wanted to share.

A friend and me are giving a talk this Friday at Phreaknic 12 about
hacking on/with the iPhone.
(jailbreak, backup and restore cydia apps and settings, metasploit
nmap, and remote audio bugging!)
In the mists of preparing for my talk my iPhone, I killed my iPhone!

Below is my experience repairing my iPhone.

I dropped my iPhone in the toilet on Thursday night :(
(I was showing my 4 yr old daughter a pumpkin game on it that you
shake to make sounds. I know,... I know..)
The screen went psychedelic, so I powered it off.
It kept coming back on a couple times, then shut off for good.
The battery was almost dead anyway, so I hoped it would stay off and
just try to dry out on the heater vent.
So I waited a day or so.

On Saturday night I plugged it in and turned it on but the screen
image was shot but the phone rang!
I realized that everything was working, just couldn't see what was
happening.
If I guessed positioning just right, I could unlock, go to the home
screen, go to the phone,
go to the favorites and call my wife a friends.
So I decided to take it apart.
Found a guide here..
http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/iphone3g/iphone3grepairguide.html
But when I tried to take the LCD apart from the front glass...
CRACK!!!!!!!   I cracked the LCD making it even worse.
Now I knew I needed to get it fixed.

On Sunday I went tot he Apple store, and they asked if I had dropped
it in water.
I confessed and said yes. They told me my only option was to buy a new
one.
I had discussed with my wife and was ready to pay $399 + tax again for
a new one.
Only I was informed by the Apple store employee that the $399 price
was subsidized.
I would have to pay the full price for a new iPhone without a
contract, $599!!!!!

So I went back home and ordered a LCD replacement screen from http://wwww.rapidrepair.com
$107 with opener tool, coupon code 10repair and overnight shipping!

Can't wait to finish my slides for my talk on Friday!