PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Enterprise Full Disk Encryption

From: fmadvocate at gmail.com (Frank Mileto)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:26:49 -0600

I don't think you need to set a static password.
this is from truecrypt's FAQ

http://www.truecrypt.org/faq.php
*Q: We use TrueCrypt in a corporate/enterprise environment. Is there a way
for an administrator to reset a volume password or pre-boot authentication
password when a user forgets it (or loses a keyfile)?*

A: Yes. Note that there is no "back door" implemented in TrueCrypt. However,
there is a way to "reset" volume
passwords/keyfiles<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=keyfiles>and
pre-boot
authentication <http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/system-encryption.php>passwords.
After you create a volume, back up its header to a file (select
*Tools* -> *Backup Volume Header*) before you allow a non-admin
user<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=administrator-privileges>to use
the volume. Note that the volume
header <http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=volume-format-specification> (which
is encrypted with a header
key<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=header-key-derivation>derived
from a password/keyfile) contains the master
key <http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=encryption-scheme> with which the
volume is encrypted. Then ask the user to choose a password, and set it for
him/her (*Volumes* -> *Change Volume Password*); or generate a user keyfile
for him/her. Then you can allow the user to use the volume and to change the
password/keyfiles without your assistance/permission. In case he/she forgets
his/her password or loses his/her keyfile, you can "reset" the volume
password/keyfiles to your original admin password/keyfiles by restoring the
volume header from the backup file (*Tools* -> *Restore Volume Header*).

Similarly, you can reset a pre-boot
authentication<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=system-encryption>password.
<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=system-encryption>To create a backup of
the master key data (that will be stored on a TrueCrypt Rescue
Disk<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/rescue-disk.php>and encrypted with
your administrator password), select '
*System*' > '*Create Rescue
Disk*<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=rescue-disk>'.
To set a user pre-boot
authentication<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=system-encryption>password,
select '
*System*' > '*Change Password*'. To restore your administrator password,
boot the TrueCrypt Rescue Disk, select '*Repair Options*' > '*Restore key
data*' and enter your administrator password.
Note: It is not required to burn each TrueCrypt Rescue
Disk<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/rescue-disk.php>ISO image to a
CD/DVD. You can maintain a central repository of ISO images
for all workstations (rather than a repository of CDs/DVDs). For more
information see the section Command Line
Usage<http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/command-line-usage.php>(option
*/noisocheck*).

HTH

Frank Mileto