PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Monitoring WIFI Network for Malicious Use

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:32:18 -0500

A few thoughts:

1) Take my new course when its complete (one day course on Wireless IDS
using open-source and inexpensive hardware) :)

2) Monitor all of your traffic coming from the wireless network into
your wired network with Snort or some other IPS/IDS

3) Captive Portal - Can you implement an authentication captive portal
on the open wireless network?  This could give you some more
flexibility, as in authenticated users can always get on, but guests
with no credentials are limited between 9am-5pm.

Cheers,
Paul

infolookup at gmail.com wrote:
Its kind of confusing see its a college, and the last class is at 9pm but faculty members might stick around later,
the are also Saturday classes too.

That's why I am looking for a way to monitor the LAN ((wifi) and get an idea of a baseline, so I can try to pick up
whenever the are malicious usage