PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Monitoring WIFI Network for Malicious Use

From: carlhester at gmail.com (Carl Hester)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:58:40 -0500

(Sorry if you get this twice, I think I sent it from the wrong address
earlier)

Sounds like a good candidate for outbound filtering.  We employ a URL
filter, outbound firewall rules and a dedicated IPS segment to our public
wireless.  Just because you're allowing "open" access to your wireless
doesn't mean you can't restrict what it's being used for.  Additionally, our
public wifi is connected to its own DMZ segment.

The URL filter and firewall rules allow the common protocols that any
regular user might need as well as logging all the connections.  The IPS
prevents common attacks from originating from your IP range.  We're not
afraid to allow our IPS to temporarily quarantine dynamic wifi IP addresses
if we catch them doing something suspicious.

I guess it depends on what malicious usage you're looking to prevent.  (or
impede)

Carl