oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: illumos (or at least danmcd) membership in the distros list

From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple dallas tx us>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:36:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023, Dan McDonald wrote:

I'm requesting membership (for danmcd () mnx io <mailto:danmcd () mnx io> ) on the "distros" mailing list on behalf of
illumos ( https://illumos.org ). We would join non-Linux participants such as those from Oracle Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and pkgsrc.

I am not a member of the 'distros' list, but can vouch for Dan McDonald's dedication and capabilities, as observed over several years. Dan did not mention it, but he previously became the primary maintainer of an Illumos distribution known as "OmniOS", which I use. As a maintainer, Dan did pay close attention to security issues.

In terms of capabilites, Illumos-based distributions are similar in capabilty to major Linux distributions, or the major BSD distributions. Illumos has a long heritage derived from Solaris, which emerged from SunOS/SVR4, but includes many unique capabilities, some of which were developed under Illumos after 2010. Each Illumos-based distribution seems to target a different usage model.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen () simple dallas tx us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/