oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Thousands of vulnerabilities, almost no CVEs: OSS-Fuzz

From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple dallas tx us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 12:08:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019, Solar Designer wrote:

Some people have interpreted this as implying there are ">100 security
bugs OSS-Fuzz found and publicly disclosed [...], and which still have
not been fixed" specifically in ImageMagick.  However, at the link you
referenced there are currently "only" 38 bugs specifically in
ImageMagick, with the rest of the >100 being in other projects:

Using the ordinary public access I have, I see that ImageMagick has 129 open issues, and 1479 issues in total. There are surely issues that I can not see yet since they are hidden for up to 90 days.

Taking the number 129, that would mean that there is a huge number of issues already fixed (1350) which are gradually making it out to users. This is too many fixes to deal with via distribution-specific patches.

Using my privileged access for GraphicsMagick, I currently see 343 issues in total, with 12 issues remaining to fix. Some of those 12 issues are open to the public for some time now. :-(

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen () simple dallas tx us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/