oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Thousands of vulnerabilities, almost no CVEs: OSS-Fuzz

From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple dallas tx us>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 14:41:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019, Alex Gaynor wrote:

I think you're quite right that the central challenge here is the mismatch
between how Linux distributions operate and what their claims/people's
expectations are.

Within four years, most users will encounter updated software which includes the fixes, assuming that an available developer did produce a fix.

If you are interested in improving the software, I suggest rolling up your sleeves and getting involved with implementing fixes. Indeed, only a small fraction of involved people are working on implementing fixes.

PS: I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention that basically all the bug
classes we're discussing are induced by C/C++'s memory unsafety and better
programming language prevent them outright.

The "better" programming languages may prevent some of these problems due to not allowing direct access to memory, but they introduce new/different types of problems which can also be serious. Indeed some popular languages like Python, Perl, or Javascript seem more dangerous than C/C++ programs.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen () simple dallas tx us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/