oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Disabling ptrace

From: nisse () lysator liu se (Niels Möller)
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 11:21:27 +0100

Jakub Wilk <jwilk () jwilk net> writes:

* Niels Möller <nisse () lysator liu se>, 2019-01-01, 12:27:
Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez () gmail com> writes:
E.g. you can attach to the victim process with gdb/ptrace and
simply read its memory, if the sysadmin has not blocked this with
Yama or similar.

I think one can disable this in the process itself, using prctl with
PR_SET_DUMPABLE. But documentation is a bit unclear and doesn't
exlicitly mention effect on ptrace

The prctl(2) man page reads: “Processes that are not dumpable can not
be attached via ptrace(2) PTRACE_ATTACH; see ptrace(2) for further
details.”

Thanks, I somehow missed that. So prctl should be the right tool, then.

(and other debugging interfaces).

What other interfaces do you have in mind?

I had the impression that ptrace was old-fashined, and that current gdb
used other interfaces via /proc (with permissions also affected by
prctl). But I may be mistaken; I've never looked into those details.

Regards,
/Niels

--
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.