oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: A bunch of duplicate CVEs requested for?? bho..

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 10:49:17 -0600

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Bob Friesenhahn <
bfriesen () simple dallas tx us> wrote:

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:

Hi all.

In the last time there are some people that run afl for fuzzing...that's
just
fine and great. Some people miss to communicate their findings to
upstream and
request a CVE from mitre.
However I'm noticing that every day there are new duplicates, let me post
some
examples:

It is important to keep in mind that CVEs are issued against "products".
There might be a CVE issued against a software version distributed by Red
Hat or Debian which is not applicable to the upstream version.  Since each
distribution patches their version it is difficult to know the "product"
that a particular CVE is applicable to.

Actually no, that is incorrect. Please see the CVE counting rules, it's a
LOT more nuanced than "CVEs are issued against products". THe docs are at

https://cve.mitre.org/cve/editorial_policies/counting_rules.html

TL;DR: CNT1 comes into play and you get situations like libxml/gzip being
embedded all over the place, but only a single CVE because 1) it's a single
code based that's copied everywhere and 2) pragmatism.

I agree that in my personal experience upstream maintainers are rarely
involved in the CVE process.

Something I am trying to change. If you are an upstream and you want to
become a CVE Numbering Authority (CNA) for your project(s) please contact
me.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen () simple dallas tx us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

--

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert () redhat com