oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: A bunch of duplicate CVEs requested for?? bho..

From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple dallas tx us>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 11:44:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:

Hi all.

In the last time there are some people that run afl for fuzzing...that's just
fine and great. Some people miss to communicate their findings to upstream and
request a CVE from mitre.
However I'm noticing that every day there are new duplicates, let me post some
examples:

It is important to keep in mind that CVEs are issued against "products". There might be a CVE issued against a software version distributed by Red Hat or Debian which is not applicable to the upstream version. Since each distribution patches their version it is difficult to know the "product" that a particular CVE is applicable to.

I agree that in my personal experience upstream maintainers are rarely involved in the CVE process.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen () simple dallas tx us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/