oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: accepting new members to (linux-)distros lists

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 22:01:14 +0200

On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 09:22:46PM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
On 07/02/2017 07:27 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
we could rewrite from scratch and release as Open
Source the encrypted mailing list software, which is currently an awful
hack.  I wouldn't oppose doing that piece of software development under
a separate funded project, if capable people were available for that.
However, I am worried that most teams tasked to work on something like
this would produce a complex monster, which wouldn't otherwise be
directly comparable (as in: is it better or worse? is it more or less
secure?) to the current hack.

To have it mentioned as part of the discussion at least; has something
like http://schleuder2.nadir.org/documentation/v2.2/concept.html even
been considered? and if considered and found not appropriate, the
rationale for it is likely interesting as well.

No, it wasn't considered yet.  I vaguely recall someone pointing me at
something like it (could be this one) on some occasion, but I couldn't
find that e-mail now.  Thank you for the link!

Alexander