oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Qualys Security Advisor -- The Stack Clash

From: Daniel Micay <danielmicay () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 14:52:03 -0400

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 11:26 -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
I would consider those two GCC BZs (68065, 66479) a separate an
distinct
issue.

It is far more important to address design issues around the existing
-fstack-check first.  I think we've got a pretty good handle on how to
address those problems and discussions with the upstream GCC community
have already started.

In an ideal world we'll get to a place where the new -fstack-check
does
not change program semantics, never misses probes and is efficient
enough to just turn on and forget everywhere.  The existing
-fstack-check fails all three of those criteria.

Jeff

AFAIK, the main efficiency issue (reserving a register) was fixed for
GCC 6. I might be missing something but it seems very cheap now, at
least for x86_64. It definitely doesn't really work though.

Is there an example of it changing program semantics? I haven't seen
anything since the generic arch stuff was fixed.