oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Browsing and attaching images considered harmful in Linux

From: Gustavo Grieco <gustavo.grieco () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 09:20:59 +0200

I would like to bring the attention of the oss-security list to the
existence of many security issues in the gdk-pixbuf library and its
dependencies causing a that attaching a corrupted image file in Linux
has become a risky business. For instance, there is a read
out-of-bounds in librsvg2 (a dependency of gdk-pixbuf used to render
svg images), which can be easily triggered if you try to attach a svg
in Firefox.

librsvg2 (2.40.2-1 with debug symbols)

1. Download and unpack boom.tar.gz somewhere.
2. gdb --args /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
3. Execute "run" and try to attach (ctrl+o) the svg file inside boom
directory in Firefox.

Result:

0x00007fffbb7a4c0d in rsvg_pattern_fix_fallback
(pattern=pattern@entry=0x7ffffffea110) at rsvg-paint-server.c:645

It is interesting to note that rcx looks controllable:

(gdb) x/i $rip
=> 0x7fffbb7a4c0d <rsvg_pattern_fix_fallback+333>:        testb  $0x4,0xe4(%rcx)
(gdb) info registers
rcx            0xe5e5e5e5e5e5e5e5        -1880844493789993499

Fortunately, this issue is already solved in the last revision of
librsvg2 (AFAIK, this issue has no CVE, so please MITRE assign one if
suitable). Nevertheless, I reported such vulnerability to Mozilla more
than a month ago hoping that they will disable the svg support in the
open/attach widget. After some discussion, it was marked as WONTFIX.
While i understand why, i still feel it can be productive to discuss
this here.

(the same trick can be used to crash Chrome/Chromium, since the code
to open/attach an image is almost the same, so this is not a Firefox
specific issue)

Use CVE-2016-6163 for this specific "read out-of-bounds in librsvg2 (a
dependency of gdk-pixbuf used to render svg images)."

Thanks!

(We cannot assign CVE IDs for the more general topic of "many security
issues in the gdk-pixbuf library and its dependencies" without
additional information.)

I only hope to encourage package maintainers to keep gdk-pixbuf and
its dependencies always in the last version.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]