oss-sec mailing list archives

Data on Linux attacks (was Re: [oss-security] Re: Fwd: x86 ROP mitigation)

From: Josh Bressers <bressers () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 08:13:52 -0500 (EST)

We face the problem that I and my immediate colleagues (on the Red Hat
tools team) do not have access to information about successful
compromises, and what attackers actually do today, on GNU/Linux systems,
both to achieve initial access and to maintain a presence afterwards.
Under these conditions, anything we implement is, to some degree,
arbitrary and a shot in the dark.  We can still use our best judgment to
set priorities, but we are very far from being guided by empirical evidence.

This is a place I think we could all stand to work together on. If anyone
has any information on Linux attacks it would be very useful for planning
future projects.

There is a lot of evidence against some other platforms, but I've not seen
anything great around Linux specifically.

If anyone has ideas or comments, I'm all ears.

--
    JB