oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: Use-after-free in Linux kernel with aufs mmap patch

From: sfjro () users sourceforge net
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 04:44:06 +0900

Ben Hutchings:
The aufs (Advanced Union Filesystem) project provides an optional patch
for the Linux kernel, called either aufs3-mmap.patch or
        :::
I posted a patch here that works for me:
http://sourceforge.net/p/aufs/mailman/message/34449209/

Please assign a CVE ID to this.

I know this is a bug but I don't have time to fix it or test your patch.
I am afraid your patch may introduce another problem because you don't
handle vm_prfile. I still think get/put(vm_prfile) is necessary. Its
lifetime should be equivalent to vm_file's essentially. How about the
test case for the race condition between these?
- groupA: msync or madvise
- groupB: mmap and munmap

As you might know, aufs mmap/munmap handle vm_file and vm_prfile. When
aufs munmap calls fput(vm_prfile) and your patch doesn't
fget(vm_prfile), then vm_prfile will be broken. And I am afraid it will
cause a problem like use-after-free.

I have no objection to assign a CVE ID, but I don't think it is fixed or
at least I didn't confirmt yet.

J. R. Okajima